View Single Post
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Mike, "rim" mentality had nothing to do with this play, ball was still in the infield. Her mistake was not reacting to the overthrow properly. The play started with a runner on first, and that play specifically is difficult to rotate out of. I know as U1 in this situation, my attention has been on the BR, not going home. It seemed to me (with that 1400 mile through the TV psychic ability that I have) that the "I need to be home" light came on. Ergo, let's chalk this up to bad mechanic rather than blaming the "rim."
B,

I agree. The only reason I mentioned the "rim" mentality is that if the ball was in foul ground, that is the last place I am going as an umpire in this scenario. Only working the "rim" would an umpire attempt this in a rotation. Most others would have the umpire inside which in this case trying to navigate through the diamond could have been just as dangerous.

No mechanical rotation is based upon bad play. Sometimes, it is just better to stay pat and announce "2-umpire" to your crew.