Thread: Charged Visit?
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 29, 2000, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: On and on

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alan G
[B]I guess we'll have to go on and on.

I haven't been very successful at making the only point that I wanted to make. I don't want to have a situation in which umpires rule the same situation differently because of their interpretation of the rules.

Wouldn't you agree that we should either go by the interpretation that is standard practice or incorporate it as a rule change/modification?

The important thing is that each association abides by a standard practice. It's important for each association to abide by the same practices. If a group of umpirres is working for the same association, there shouldn't be 2 different rulings.

If there is, then the coach should call the assigner.

As far as balks go, again that should be an association call. Sometimes, in lets say JR league LL or any other youth league, where pitchers are holding runners at bay for the first time - there is some leniency but that mostly concerns the shoulder turn.

The bottom line to all this - Follow the teachings / standard practices of the association you belong to as ultimately they will decide your rating.

For example; I live in NY and while it's not necessary for me to rule the same as they would in California, it's VERY IMPORTANT that I rule the same as my fellow blues in the association I belong to.

Hope this clarifys things

Pete Booth