View Single Post
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ref2b View Post
I am curious how your local association or State is going to handlethe required 3 minute warm up period that proceeds the third quarter. We let the HC's know that the half time clock will be set at 17:00 and then 3:00. Some come out on time others don't. How far are you going to take preventative officiating? My Board wants me to send in the LJ and BJ with the teams and let them know when it is time to go.
Why 17 minutes? Halftime is usually 15 and can be a maximum of 20. Then the warm-up period is separate.

The spirit and intent of the rule is to make sure the players warm up before starting the second half. If you fail to give it you are negligent. If the teams stand at attention for the three minutes it is not our problem.

Some of these athletes are looking at scholarships worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and maybe an NFL career worth millions of dollars. What if one of your All-whatevers pulls a muscle in the second half, then the injury causes him not to get a scholarship to a top D1 school. So one day there is a knock on your door with a subpoena to appear for a multi-million dollar lawsuit because you did not put 3 minutes on the clock for warm up and therefore you were negligent.

Don't laugh, saw a similar situation in another sport.