View Single Post
Old Thu May 28, 2009, 02:44pm
Small Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: I'm anxious to see how the Fed wants us to handle this. I'll begin by saying that we always send the L and B to get the two teams and ensure they're out when they need to be, so we haven't had a problem. But for the sake of discussion, suppose we didn't do that. We've always been told that the 3 minute warm-up was mandatory, i.e. even if a team arrived late, they still needed to be given their three minutes. We were even told that it's a liability issue. We had to ensure they had the proper time to warm up after arriving. Now if they arrived late and we had to delay that three-minute warmup period, it was a USC flag. But we would not start the 3:00 clock if a team wasn't there and would never short change them that warmup time. Is the Fed specifying something different now?? I couldn't tell for certain by what I had read.
Bob-
Sending the B and L to their respective locker rooms is certainly good solid preventative officiating. That being said, it is my understanding that this "jesture of goodwill" will not be required by the NFHS.
What is required is that the Head Coach have his team back on the field at the end of the scheduled halftime intermission. Failure to do so results in a 15-yard Unsportsmanlike Conduct Foul issued to the head coach. (9-8-1g2)
It is of no concern of the clock operator it the teams are on the field as the clock operaor SHALL be instructed to start the Mandatory 3-minute warm-up countdown immediately at the conclusion of the scheduled half time as per the clarifications via additional wording which have been added to Table 3-1

That is my take on the interpretation of this rule clarification.
We as you, always held the start of the 3:00 clock until both teams were on the field. This is no longer correct as per the 2009 Rules Book. Again, as per Table 3-1: The game officials are responsible for ensuing that these is a three-minute warm-up period posted on the clock and the clock immediately started for use by the coaches immediately after the halftime intermission expires. The head coach is responsible for his team being on the field for mandatoy warm-up period at the end of the scheduled intermission.

Nowhere in the any of the rule publications does it say Game officials are responsiblile for delaying the start of the Mandatory Warm-up period due to liability concerns.
We now have clear direction in the RULE BOOK! Officials are to Start the Warm-up clock and flag the coach. In my lay opinion, I would say any liablity concerns have shifted to the Head Coach as per the woring of the Rules Book.

That being said, I would encourage everyone to check with your State Rules Interpreter for any additional direction.