View Single Post
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Just got home from a Board mtg for our local kids rec league. We discussed the fact that there's no NF rule changes for next season and then one of the members, who is also a ref, suggested we put in our own change for next year. He proposed that a team who is fouled (non-shooting) and is in the bonus can have the option of shooting the free throws or just inbounding the ball if the foul occurs in the last two minutes of the game.

I know this has been discussed on this board. I wonder about trying this out in a rec league to see how it works. We'll make this decision at our July meeting. The league starts registration in Sept., practices start in Oct. and games begin in Dec.

I would appreciate your thoughts about trying this in a kids (grades 3 thru HS) rec league. We have other variances from NF rules such as length of quarters and a no press mercy rule, but that's about it.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Just for information: FIBA used to have a similar rule. Maybe this would change your mind.

I'm glad they cancelled it several years ago: coaches should teach their player, in particular the young ones, how to score free throws.

If you insist on trying that, you should make it clear at least: (1) who is in charge of the choice (captain? coach?); (2) when the choice must be made (before, during or after a TO following the foul?).

Ciao