View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: My eyes have been opened

Quote:
Originally posted by 4 Sport Official
Thank you, mnref.

That is what I had taken from Hochuli's fairly thorough explanation. I only felt unsure, because I was unaware of the NFL rule.

Now, I would like to see how anyone interprets the NF rules on this sort of play.

NF 2-40-4 The inbounds spot is the intersection of the inbounds line and the yard line :

c. Through the spot under the foremost point of the ball in possession of a runner when he crosses the plane of the sideline AND GOES OUT OF BOUNDS.

NF 2-28-1 A player or other person is out of bounds when any part of the person is touching anything, other than another player or game official, who is on or outside the sideline or end line.

NF 2-28-2 A ball in player possession is out of bounds when the runner or the ball touches anything, other than another player or game official, who is on or outside a sideline or end line.

So, in this case, would you interpret the inbounds spot as, the spot where the BALL crossed the sideline while in possession of an airborne player who ENDS UP out of bounds? or where the ball is at when the PLAYER is out of bounds?

After reading this closely, it sounds to me like it IS the same as the NFL rule, and I was just blissfully ignorant all of this time.
I interpret it as the exact same rule as the NFL. I believe either the funny book or casebook covers this play in detail. I know I've seen this play covered at a State Rules meeting.