View Single Post
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

I've been staying away from this thread for a couple of days, just to see where it went.

Let me say this:

1) My "Orderly Mind, Friendly Gentleman" meaning for OMFG was meant as a joke. I thought it was obvious enough not to need a smiley.

2) It's okay that some are offended by some of the meanings (and perhaps the most common meaning) of OMFG. I, too, am offended by that, depending on the social norms. (I wouldn't say it, or expect to hear it, at church, for example.) (And, to be clear, my use of the word "church" is not meant to be offensive to those who attentd attend any other type of building (e.g., temple) for religious ceremonies, or those who do not attend, or those who attend sometimes, or those who attend, but not in a building.) The social norms here are, I think, less-restrictive on cussing and the specific applicability of the third commandment.

3) Truthfully, I didn't ascribe any particular meaning to the acronym other than the general, non-literal meaning, "I don't see how this can be so confusing." Heck, had I posted that, some would complain that I was being demeaning to whoever asked the question. Maybe that "attitude" is why I'm not a teacher. So, choose it to mean whatever you want to be non-offfensive (or to be offensive, it that's your pleasure)

4) I don't like to have the last word and then close a thread, so I'll leave this open a while more. But, if the posts continue in the current vein, it will be closed.