View Single Post
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
Last night I was BU for a U14 game (FED Rules), and near the middle of the game the runners for the team at-bat started clapping, not in uniform, in an attempt to distract the pitcher during his preliminary motions, and hoping the pitcher would balk.
Thanks!
Gentlemen, based upon the description of this alone, this is a rules violation.

I agree with Ozzy that some officials "like to make up rules and adjust rules to fit situations," however, there are many out there that don't have the gioonies (SP) enough to use the rules that are in the book appropriately and make it a hey-day for other officials when they do.

I have no problem with cheering, clapping and team spirit encouragement but, when the so intent is to gain an advantage in violation of the rules then it is my job to enforce them. I agree it is umpires judgement here but, I have had situations with runners on third clapping and yelling at the pitcher with a clear intent to get the pitcher to balk. "Hey Blue, no one ever said that was illegal before." Whole teams beginning rythmatic chanting only when a runner is on third and the pitcher is come set. It then increases in volume as the pitcher gets ready to pitch. "Hey Blue, no one ever said that was illegal before."

For the most part, I agree with everything said here but, I just want to point out that discretion is just as important in knowing when not to insert yourself in the game, as it is when you should be enforcing the rules.