Thread: Tag up Question
View Single Post
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

We have had this discussion before.

It all comes down to whether the player left the base early in the umpire's judgment.

If the runner left early, sure she can return as long as a trailing runner has not scored.

If the runner did not leave early, then she scores. HOWEVER, if she scores and then decides to return to 3B with other runners on, you MUST be willing to call the INT if the defense makes any play on that player. There are no two ways about it.

Quote:
This must be the only play in all of softball where the opinion of the coach and the players is more important than what the umpire actually saw.
But how many times have you made a decision on a player's reaction? How many umpires have told a coach about a catcher attempting to pull a pitch into the zone that "if she didn't think it was a strike, than why would I?" And I cannot count the number of times I've heard the old "there is no way I'm calling a pitch a strike when the catcher turns her glove over to catch the pitch!"

Not saying we should allow coach/player comments/actions dictate rulings, but in real life it is, at times, taken into consideration.