View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 19, 2002, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

The murderer of the friend who got me into umpiring was executed about 45 minutes ago...............

It's funny sometimes..............I think about Jim (the friend who got me into umpiring/and who I umpired my first ever game with) every now and then.......but those thoughts and memories get farther and fewer between.........

BUT.......just this past weekend, I was talking with one of our first year guys after games were over and we got to talking about how we got started in umpiring...........

I told him about a guy I graduated HS with, who after our Freshman year in College convinced me to join the local BB group and umpire some games in the evening with him...........It was 1979 and we were both working the same summer job that got off at 4 p.m., so evening games were perfect........I also told him that this friend of mine later became a Houston Police officer.........and was shot and killed because a senseless man got impatient............

Jim gave me my first indicator and plate brush..........and we shared a balloon protector whenever we umpired together.........

I called quite a few games with Jim over the next 3 summers...........and kinda got away from it after I got a real job...........

15 or so years later............I thought about the fun I had umpiring baseball way back when.........and I started doing fastpitch because I had been away from baseball so long.........and I had all daughters...............grin

Although I am not a proponent of Capitol Punishment............I have a hard time feeling any pity for the man who took the life of my friend........

Sorry for the ramble..........just thought I would share.........

And for a little more about Jim.............

Go here http://www.texascitysun.com/report.lasso?WCD=1240

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Nov 19th, 2002 at 07:32 PM]