Thread: Charged Visit?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 28, 2000, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by cmcallm
Hi. I'm new here, but have 20+ years of NCAA, Legion, and Independent Minor League ball under my belt. I'm also a Rules Interpreter for the Illinois High School Association, so I do some homework and lots of experienced associates to lean on and draw from. Hopefully I can offer some insight from time to time.

As to "Trip or Not?", as long as there is no delay by the team having the conference, on the Federation level and levels below that I would NOT charge a trip. NCAA, Legion, and above I WOULD charge a trip. Logic? At the lower levels players are still learning the game, and I'd allow the opportunity enhance their ability. At the higher levels, my assumption is they know the game and therefore know the intent of a "trip" is for an initiating coach to discuss a situation with his players. If the opposing coach wants to discuss the same situation, or another situation, he will need to initiate his own trip (or wait until his team is in the dugout when he can talk to them without having to use a trip).
Bless your heart! Thanks for the support. I was beginning to think I was all alone.

Plus, you've reminded me of something so vitally important it slipped my mind. You see, I live in Rhode Island. Our high schools play AL OBR, with some modifications of course. So my mind is almost never in FED mode.

The FED ruling is just as I have stated above. If the other team initiates the time-out, then the defense can meet without a conference being charged. (FED 3-4-5; 3.4.1b)

If I'm not mistaken, in NCAA, a trip is charged unless there is a "prolonged injury time-out." If that's the case then no trip should be charged. (Carl's BRD)

In OBR games, a trip should always be charged. But as cmcallm has said, and I concur, this should not be the case in youth leagues. It just makes too much sense to use the FED ruling.