Thread: Charged Visit?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 28, 2000, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Hi. I'm new here, but have 20+ years of NCAA, Legion, and Independent Minor League ball under my belt. I'm also a Rules Interpreter for the Illinois High School Association, so I do some homework and lots of experienced associates to lean on and draw from. Hopefully I can offer some insight from time to time.

As to "Trip or Not?", as long as there is no delay by the team having the conference, on the Federation level and levels below that I would NOT charge a trip. NCAA, Legion, and above I WOULD charge a trip. Logic? At the lower levels players are still learning the game, and I'd allow the opportunity enhance their ability. At the higher levels, my assumption is they know the game and therefore know the intent of a "trip" is for an initiating coach to discuss a situation with his players. If the opposing coach wants to discuss the same situation, or another situation, he will need to initiate his own trip (or wait until his team is in the dugout when he can talk to them without having to use a trip).