Thread: Charged Visit?
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 28, 2000, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

My last attempt

Jim,

I read your last post and although there's lots to disagree with, I must go further than that on one issue. I did not use the word "stupid" in anything I've written on this issue (or any other, for that matter). Please do not make that kind of unwarrented accusation. (I realize that may have been directed at someone other than myself, but it wasn't obvious on first reading.)

Back to baseball: LL has its own rules about lots of things. (Dropped third strike, stealing, number of trips in an inning, etc.) So if it's a LL rule or interpretation, I don't see what that has to do with OBR.

Next, your continuing to refer to the rights of a player-coach as though that settles the issue is way off. The limitation is on the non-playing manager or coach because of the potential delay. But as you point out(quoting JEA, NAPBL, and JR), a player-coach is assumed to be a player (unless the privilege is abused) with all the rights allowed a player. The reason the two-trip rule for managers speeds up the game is because it prohibits a third and subsequent trip, which would slow down the game.

As my last and final attempt to convince you, please tell me the last time you saw a ML game in which a manager went to talk to the pitcher (no injury involved) and it was NOT a trip. I've never seen it, and I'll bet you haven't either. So if I'm umpiring in a league which uses OBR, I think I'd have a tough time convincing the offensive coach that I'm not counting a trip to the mound. (My explanation that it is a LL interpretation would probably not count for much.)

[Edited by Alan G on Sep 28th, 2000 at 01:17 PM]