View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
A fellow blue and I had a discussion on a play in his game on Saturday. Rec league, 14u, ASA rules.

The play: Less than two outs, 1st base unoccupied, catcher fails to catch strike three. BR takes off for first, catcher throws over F3's head and into right field. My buddy, who is working alone, calls the BR out for interference. His explanation is that she was running inside the foul line and affected the catchers throw to first base.

I believe that this was an incorrect interpretation of 8-2-E. The rule states that the BR cannot interfere with the fielder taking the throw. The rule does not mention the fielder making the throw. I contend that because F3 could not have caught the ball, no interference should be called. Had the throw hit the BR or had she blocked the view of F3 on a throw F3 had a chance to catch, then the interference call is appropriate.

What do you all think?
A. There is no mention of a running lane violation which would only apply if the BR was already half-way to 1B at the time of the throw. This rule affects ONLY the defenders ability to receive the throw at 1B.

B. There is no rule restricting any place or manner in which a BR may advance to 1B with the exception of the rule above, which involves interfering with a throw. Assuming the most likely position for the BR (back to the plate), the runner cannot be ruled out unless she intentionally did something to interfere with the throw.