View Single Post
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:00am
Administrator

MTD, Jr. and I belong to two umpiring associations in the Toledo area. One assigns H.S. baseball and fastpitch softball and H.S. summer baseball and fastpitch softball, as well as travel league baseball and fastpitch softball and slow pitch softball leagues. The other association only assigns travel league baseball and fastpitch softball and slow pitch softball leagues. The membership of the first association are all OhioHSAA registered umpires; the second membership is made up of both umpires who are OhioHSAA registered umpires and umpires who are not OhioHSAA registered umpires. The same person is the assigner (and member of both associations).

Last night I had a travel league (11U) baseball game assigned by the second association. My partner was straight out of the video. He was not an OhioHSAA registered umpire. He worked the plate. He wore his hat backwards all of the time, wore a red (frame and pads) catcher's mask, and a watch on his left wrist, and did NOT wear any ball bags (he stuffed the game balls in his pants pockets. I will say this, he did wear heather gray plate pants and plate shoes.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio