Thread: Charged Visit?
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 27, 2000, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Official Baseball Rules

The intent of the charged conference rule is to avoid delay in the game. The defense is charged with a conference when they stop play to meet with the pitcher.

Since you stopped play because of your injury, I would not charge that conference unless the conference somehow delayed the game. They would have to still be meeting when you are ready to resume play before you should charge the conference.

The same should apply in all other situations. If there's a time out initiated by someone other than the defense, the defense can conference during this time. They must be ready to resume play right away, though. Any delay for their conference whatsoever and you should charge that conference.

If the time out is initiated by the defense, then any meetings with the pitcher should be charged. Otherwise teams could be devious and circumvent the spirit of the rule by a faked injury.

A. Defense initiates time out - charge any pitcher conferences.
B. Someone else initiates time out - do not charge the conference unless such conference causes a further delay in the game.

This is my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree. There is no official interpretation in this area, except for Little League Baseball (all divisions.) Their interp is as I have stated above.