Thread: First Game Back
View Single Post
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

First Game Back

I called my first games in about five years yesterday (13 yr old tournament). I umpired for about four years but had to give it up because I had boys playing and just couldn't swing it anymore. I've continued doing basketball for the past 8 years. I always enjoyed officiating basketball more than baseball, but baseball has always been my favorite sport. Son #3 is a senior this year and my youngest has decided to stick to football and basketball, so I am umpiring on a limited basis this year around my sons high school schedule. Did two plate games yesterday and felt pretty good, a few squawks on high strikes but really no problems.

Things I did notice is that I flinched occasionally, particularly on high inside pitches. I also noticed that I involuntarily blinked on a few occasions on high pitches when the batter swung at them. Had to have some self talk about really locking in. When I umpired before, I always felt like I had more trouble with high strikes than low ones. However, it seems like nobody wants a strike above the belt called, even in youth games. Also, first time in my NB 450 plate shoes and I found them to be very comfortable. Overall, looking forward to the rest of my limited season; I have about four HS doubleheaders scheduled and will try to pick up some lower level games here and there. Any advice on nailing down the high end of the strike zone? Past experience has shown me that the flinching will go away with more work. Anyway, it feels good to be back in the fraternity of men in blue. I've always felt that the cameraderie I get out of officiating has been as much fun as working the games.