View Single Post
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Don't know why you have a problem with this. The specific rule is quoted for you. When B6 was retired, it alleviated the force out for all runners (rule quoted above). We all know that there can be no force outs on any runner when a trailing runner including the BR has been retired.

A fourth out appeal could not be valid on any runner which did not score. Unless the BR ends up scoring, missing 1B is irrelevant if the 3rd out was recorded prior to the appeal.
Just trying to wrap my brain around the wording.

There are plenty of ambiguous rules in the book. The police talk to three witnesses to a crime and come up with three different descriptions of the criminal. Perspective is what I'm seeking here.

I understand that on a 4th out appeal, any succeeding runners would not score. I'm sensing that since the BR reached 1B and was out subsequent to that action, that the force is rendered moot.

So, in the above scenario, had the BR been caught in a rundown between first and second while all other runs scored, and then he returned to 1B safely, could the defense then appeal R2 missing 3B and the force play still be in effect? The appeal would result in R2 being called out for the 3rd out of the inning, and this would negate R1's run?

Ted