View Single Post
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon Kincer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Brandon, you're overcomplicating the issues.

First, forget the rec game. As you said, neither official was certified. There's a different standard when working with cretified HS officials.

Second, the referee is in charge of the crew and the game. He wears a white hat so as to distinguish him from the other officials.

Third, in most areas, the referee has a say on who works on his crew. Therefor, yes, he can usually have a crew member replaced if he wants too.

Finally, referees usually have years of experience. They are going to make better decisions thant you will. As this point in your career, you learning what to call. But even more importantly, you have not even begun to learn what NOT to call. This is where you will need to listen to the more experienced officials.

The veterans will listen to you but it's much more important that you are the one who listens.
I agree. I really do want to succeed in being a football official. I talk to certified officials on the phone at games and even work with them indivdually to be the very best I can be. One official even has it set up to where i get in his HS games free and stand near the field so that I can watch and learn. Im doing the very best I can and asking the questions that I feel I need to ask.