View Single Post
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

This an NCAA softball rule and is something completely different than the standard rules covering interference for assisting a runner during a live ball.

The rule is that on a DEAD BALL BASE AWARD, no one other than a coach or another runner may touch any of the advancing runners until said runners have touched home plate.

Isn't the same rule in effect for NCAA baseball? It is, according to my 2008 edition of the Baseball Rules Differences. I'm surprised that somebody didn't catch that!

The umpires blew this call. The first violation of this rule requires only a team warning. No provision is made to call an out unless it is a subsequent offense.

In one news account, coach Musgjerd is quoted as saying, "The warning is down much farther (in the rule book) and I wasn't aware of the warning until much later".

Baloney. The "effect" and penalty appear directly below and as part of the rule in the NCAA softball rule book. Way to try and save face while admitting that you had no idea of the actual rule and lucked into a call by *****ing about it!

The umpires blew the rule, the coach that complained didn't know it and the coach of the other team apparently does not know it or understand how to file a protest.