Thread: baiting a T?
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 15, 2002, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

last nights subvarsity game I called an intentional foul on A1 for "wrapping up" a guy going in for a lay up in a non-violent way. A1 was upset with the call and said" Oh common, what did I do?" I responded with "it is an intentional foul because you were not playing the ball".
A1 replied with some CURSING that his coach has taught him not to let the shooter get a shot off once you give the foul so I gave him a TECH.

in post game, my partner expressed feedback that he felt I baited A1 into the TECH by replying to him at an emotional time. He recomended I just walk away and report the intentional foul. My opinion is that officials should respond to formal questions, not statements - but ignoring the player usually is worse then engaging with the player.
My partner said that this thinking applies to a coach asking about a call, but not a player.

Mostly like to get some more opinions on this please?

But also looking for affirmation that it is indeed an intentional foul when a player blantantly "bear hugs" a guy going in for a lay up - even though he holds him up & does not hurt him?
Even if the play (call) itself is controversial that does not excuse a player from cursing, correct? If A1 had just expressed displeasure with the call, but not cursed, I would have given him more lee-way and not a TECH because of the emotion in reacting with the call. agreed?

thanks again
GTW