View Single Post
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
The problem with mandatory slide rules is some of these girls don't know how to slide because they have never been taught to slide. I see it all the time: Girls who slow down and practically sit on the base; starting their slide too late and ramming their ankles into the base; head first slides that wind up being face first slides; sprained wrists for trying to break their fall, etc.

The coaches are often the ones who petition for a rule to be put in place. Mandatory slide rules are often seen in low-level rec ball. Perhaps if the threat of law suit was placed on the coaches, we would see less of that particular "rule".
Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!!!!

All of my daughters have grown up playing in a low level rec league sponsored by our church. The league has a mandatory slide rule on any "close" play. When my oldest daughter played, she was coached by a lady who is my volleyball officiating partner during the fall. She is a knowledgable softball coach and took almost one entire practice session teaching the players how to slide properly. My oldest daughter now helps coach in the league and one of her main jobs each year is teaching sliding.

I volunteer some time as an umpire each year and I have been in the league directors ear for the last five years to get rid of that mandatory slide rule. He just keeps insisting that it is for the safety of the players. So far, there have been no injuries as a result of it as far as I know, but I just cringe when I see some of the "slides" that are executed by these players.