View Single Post
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
The problem with mandatory slide rules is some of these girls don't know how to slide because they have never been taught to slide. I see it all the time: Girls who slow down and practically sit on the base; starting their slide too late and ramming their ankles into the base; head first slides that wind up being face first slides; sprained wrists for trying to break their fall, etc.

The coaches are often the ones who petition for a rule to be put in place. Mandatory slide rules are often seen in low-level rec ball. Perhaps if the threat of law suit was placed on the coaches, we would see less of that particular "rule".
Sadly, a lot of the lower level ball is coached by someone whose only qualification is that they are most athletic at their school. They know nothing of the sport (then again, do most coaches EVER know anything of the sport?), much less how to teach it to a small child.

You also have the volunteers whose DD is on the team, and no one else wanted the job. We've all seen our fair share of those.

Mandatory slide rules are well-intended, but we all know where the path paved with such intentions inevitably leads.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.