View Single Post
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 07:40am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Here's the definition of a "force out" from the USSSA rule book:

FORCE OUT refers to when a Runner is tagged by a Fielder with the ball (while on or off a Base) or a Fielder holds the ball on the Base to which a Runner is forced to advance before the Runner can reach that Base and before any succeeding Runner is put out.

Here is their actual rule:

Base Runners Are Out Under The Following Circumstances: (8-5-N) When, on a force out, a Fielder tags him with the ball (while on or off a base) or holds the ball on the base to which the Base Runner is forced to advance before the Base Runner can reach the base.

I don't see how you could interpret this any differently than every single other baseball of softball organization does.

Link to USSSA on-line rule book: USSSA Slow Pitch Rule Book

Maybe when they called the "home office" the janitor answered the phone...
Thanks for posting. I went through the rule book several times last night, and this was the only thing I could find and it doesn't even support the interpretation. The UIC said he was reading something in the book during the phone call that was referenced by the National office, and I can't even find what the heck would even come remotely close. I'm still puzzled at what it was. I'll have to call my UIC tonight, with the references you posted (and I've got the page numbers, etc, now). Just downright puzzling.