View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 09:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
[B1) Long ago, when you were probably a pup, there was no signal for the mid-court violation. Officials started using the point from front court to back court gesture. That "eventually" became the signal. It wasn't in "The Book" but it was used even in NCAA playoffs.

2) For decades the three second signal was a horizontal movement across the midsection. Ed Hightower (I believe)started a revolution when he made the call from the side of his body in a vertical movement. That also became the accepted movement BEFORE it ever made it to any manual.

An individual official calling a double foul, IN MY OPINION, shows that there was a process that occurred BEFORE this whistle and it should have been handled EARLIER by calling a single foul on one player, or as many fouls as necessary on subsequant trips down the court.

Sorry for the long answer, however, you would be graded down for calling a double foul by yourself under the training that I have had.

[/B]
1)I've officiated for 44 years.During that time,there have ALWAYS been approved signals for both back-court and 3-second violations.The signals may have changed,but there has always been a signal available.I have also met and worked with a great variety of officials from all over during that 44 years.I have never heard,during this time,of the concept of training officials to not call double fouls.Is this practise indigenous to the wilds of the WAC?