View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Dan_Ref

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
[ [/B]

An interesting aside, we varsity coaches get to rate the officials each year, 1 to 10. I gave only one guy a 10 (I was liberal with the 8s and 9s) and it was the only guy who called a double foul last season that I can recall. It was a physical game and his double foul call got the attention of both coaches that it wasn't going to be tolerated. We got the word to our players (that hadn't already figured it out) and the game was much cleaner. That game was better for the double. If it wasn't a double, the girl who believed she got wronged might've been looking to even the score at the other end. [/B][/QUOTE]
__________________________________________________ __________

Interesting rating system. I know in most areas in our State, Coaches don't have any input towards an officials rating.
Our Association, however, does let Coaches rate...Each Varsity Coach rates 20 Officials 1-20, with 1 being the highest(best) and 20 the lowest. If an official in our Association dosen't get rated by that Coach then the official gets a 21. (Lowest number tallied from all schools is the best.)
If a Coach doesn't rate an Official 1-20, then that Official usually does not get assigned to that Coach's school.
In fact, our rating system is 50% peer rating and 50% Coaches rating...so Coaches do have quite a bit of input.

Our peer rating system could probably be better...each Official rates the other Officials ... 25pts.(Can do Varsity and Playoff games) 20 (Can do "Big School" Varsity) 15 (Can do "Small School" Varsity and any J.V.) 10 (Can do J.V.) 5pts. (Can only do Frosh and Middle school)
Here you want a high score, obviously. After you are rated by at least 7 officials, then your total is divided by the amount of Officials that rated you, thus giving you your average.

I saw on this forum where someone stated..."the only thing worse than not having a rating system....is having a rating system." That was good, I hope they didn't mind me borrowing that line the other night.

RD