Thread: playing with 4
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Not TH, but here goes my answers:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

1. Team A has a throw-in after a time-out. Team A is ready, team B is still at their bench after both horns. Official gives A1 the ball and he passes it in to A2 who scores. Team B now has only 4 players run out onto the court. B1 inbounds the ball to B2 who proceeds up the court. At this time B5 is still on the bench and remains there. He does not enter the court or even go to the table.

We're not going to get to B5 on the bench, because I'm giving a T as soon as the B players run on to the court without properly reporting to the scorer.

Quote:
2. During play B2 run to the team bench and sits down. The game continues and his team is on defense. Team A makes to immediate attempt to score, but is just passing the ball around.
I call a T for 10-3-4. Would you have no advantage and play on?

Depends on why he leaves. I tend to agree that the T should only be called here if B2 comes back or leaves the court to avoid a screen, etc.

Quote:

3. The Hoosiers movie. A5 fouls out. Coach Gene Hackman tells you, "My team is on the floor." He has only 4 on the court and team member A6 is healthy and eligible on his bench.
I inform him that he may either play A6 or forfeit the game. Would you allow them to play with 4 as it is certainly not to their advantage?

It may be a disadvantage, but it's not permitted by rule.
I think your ruling is correct - there is no justification for a T, simply the possibility of a forfeit because A refuses to field a complete team.