Thread: playing with 4
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef and I would request some opinions of others on the penalty for playing with only 4 when you have others available.
Please consider casebook play 10.1.9
The crux of our debate seems to be two-fold:
1. When should the T be called, if at all?
2. What is the strict rule and what is the practice?

BktBallRef please reply to this post and give your answers to these questions:
1. Team A has a throw-in after a time-out. Team A is ready, team B is still at their bench after both horns. Official gives A1 the ball and he passes it in to A2 who scores. Team B now has only 4 players run out onto the court. B1 inbounds the ball to B2 who proceeds up the court. At this time B5 is still on the bench and remains there. He does not enter the court or even go to the table.
If my understanding of your opinion is correct, you would not call a T and claim that team B has not gained an advantage by playing a man down. Is that correct?
I would call the T at this point for 10-1-9. While I agree that they have not gained an advantage, they clearly have violated a rule and I think that you would be wrong not to enforce it.
2. During play B2 runs to the team bench and sits down. The game continues and his team is on defense. Team A makes no immediate attempt to score, but is just passing the ball around.
I call a T for 10-3-4. Would you have no advantage and play on?
3. The Hoosiers movie. A5 fouls out. Coach Gene Hackman tells you, "My team is on the floor." He has only 4 on the court and team member A6 is healthy and eligible on his bench.
I inform him that he may either play A6 or forfeit the game. Would you allow them to play with 4 as it is certainly not to their advantage?

Hopefully, these plays will help clarify our positions on this rule and make for a better debate.

[Edited by nevadaref on Nov 14th, 2002 at 04:44 PM]