View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Hey JR and Mark T. DeNucci,
You guys have been around to see these rules evolve. Can you shed some light on the entering the free throw semi-circle interpretation in the casebook? 9.1.7
Was there ever a comment in past in either the casebook, rule book, or handbook about this?
I have been officiating HS ball for 7 years now, and am frustrated with many of the casebook interpretations because they often are not what the rules book says. I wish the rules committee would also change the wording of rules book if they decide that they want a certain casebook interpretation.
Thanks.
PS I have taken the attitude of an attorney with regard to this. I associate the written law with the rules book and the case law decisions of the judges are analogous to the casebook plays.
Now in the legal field both written code and case decisions have the force of law, so I give the same power to both the rules book and the casebook when I am officiating. However, in the legal field, the decisions of certain cases are often overturned and it can be argued that a court misinterpreted the law and decided wrongly. Laws are also changed, but usually less frequently than cases are overturned. Hence, I sometimes argue with the casebook, if it is not consistent with the rules book.

[Edited by nevadaref on Nov 14th, 2002 at 01:58 PM]