View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHat Ref View Post
A 4th down field goal attempt by K1 from A's 10 yard line crosses the goal line hits the upright and falls to the ground in the endzone.

As an official with 2 years under my belt, I have only worked freshman and youth games and thinking about it have never had a field goal attempted.

As I was studying the rulebook, I came upon this scenario.The ruling as I read it, is a touchback.

6-3-3
Art.1 ... It is a touchback if any free kick or scrimmage kick,
b. Which is a three-point field goal attempt, in flight touches a K player in R's endzone, or after breaking the plane of R's goal line is unsuccessful.

I thought A would start a new series from the 10 yard line, but after reading the rulebook it seems to be a touchback. Am I interpreting the rulebook correctly?
Thanks
Lets keep it simple. There are only two types of kicks in the NFHS Rule Book; free kick and scrimmage kick. An attempt to score from a scrimmage kick better known as a field goal attempt is exactly that, a scrimmage kick. Therefore, crossing the goal line the ball is dead.

The caeveat is when a scoring scrimmage kick touches a R player in the endzone and bounds over the goal post between the uprights, it is a field goal. So, 6-3-3 tells you touching a K player does not keep the play alive.

6-3-3 is a rather recent addition to the Rule Book designed to clarify touching in the end zone of a scoring scrimmage kick.