Thread: look back
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Dead Ball...Runner is Out.

First of all, welcome to the board.

This is my first inquiry, so have patience with me, thanks. I would like to be as informed about the rules as I can be. I am reading the rule book and I am just not sure about some situations.

Looks like you found the right place. In any case, a very wise person told me a long time ago...."A person who asks a question is ignorant for 5 minutes....The person who doesn't is ignorant for a lifetime."

The look back rule is new to me. I need some clarification. When the pitcher is within the circle with the ball, all runners must precede to the next base or return to the previous base. There is no standing still. The runner gets only one stop.

If a runner commits to a base after the first stop there is no turning back. If she does turn back she is automatically out and the other runners still able to advance

I am going to assume, that the pitcher did not make any attempt to make a play on the runner or another runner. This does include making a fake throw and (agressive body movements-NCAA). If that is the case then all bets are off and Runners may advance at there own risk. Rule 8-8-T Exception ASA 12-18-D NCAA

If we don't have an attempt by the pitcher and you invoke the lookback rule, you will kill all play by indicating "Dead Ball" and then point to the runner in question and signal them "Out". With multiple runners, only one can be called out and the other(s) must return their previously occupied base. Be prepared to explain what you saw, as you will have a excited coach.

Keep asking questions.