View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, that is not the point of the mechanic. Then again, I don't see why anyone would have an issue with an umpire taking A STEP, two at the most. It WILL keep you on your toes, allow you to avoid being hit and allow you to move into position in a quicker and more efficient manner. But if that doesn't interest the umpire, just stand there
Then why, in a 2-umpire system, does the BU stay stationary until the ball is hit? You're not really that much further out than if you were in a 3-umpire crew (maybe a couple of feet - unless you're calling SP and getting pushed halfway to the fence).

For me it's simple: I don't want to be moving just for the sake of being moving. If I'm going somewhere, I want it to be for a purpose. Maybe it's because I'm younger than the average umpire that I don't find it difficult to get the ol' turfslappers moving, but I just don't see walking as being all that necessary. Even when I'm "stationary" as the BU, I can do little things to keep my feet at the ready (wiggling toes, flexing the calf or thigh muscles, etc.). I'm moving as soon as I know where I need to be, and in less than a second after the ball is hit (usually a split second). All the while, I'm stationary to see everything I need to see as clearly as I can.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.