View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 26, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think this becomes a 10-2-3g play (not covered by rules). The rules seem to apply MC only to a runner -- and you had a batter, not a runner.

So, I agree that the batter is ejected for MC.
2-21-1-b specifically addresses that interference occurs when the runner initiates malicious contact so I agreee that that rule does not apply here since my issue was with the batter. But according to rule 3-3-1-n the batter should still apply here since he is on offense.

The way I read the batters actions is that he looked over his sholder, located the catcher and moved into his path (he had plenty of time to clear out of the play) to take the contact and block the catcher out of the tag play at the plate. So he moved into the catchers path to initiate the contact with a definite benefit if not called, IMO. I have that same school again tomorrow and after talking to my assignor I'm going to arrive somewhat early to explain to the coach (this was his second game date as a JV coach) and batter why I called what I called (become an eduactor to an obviously inexpierenced coach and player).