View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 25, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
When I think I've see it all:

Situation: Runner at 1st, left handed batter, right handed catcher (you'll see why this important).

What Happened: Pitcher starts his motion, runner starts for 2nd, batter takes the pitch, doesn't move, bat still "on the shoulder," catcher attempts to throw to second, and this is where it gets interesting, his throw hits the bat.

Result: Umps confer, call the batter out on interence and sends the runner back to 1st.

What say you all?
Unless the batter did something intentionally to interfere with the throw, the correct call is "That's Nothing". I had a similar type play where the catcher was attempting to pick off R1 who was diving back into first. The throw went off the left handed batter's bat and deflected out of play. We correctly placed R1 at third base (two base award from time of pitch). Although the defensive coach did not agree with my ruling, it was the right call. We joked about it after saying that if we would have just put R1 at second, nobody would have probably said a word Definitely NOT interference