Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Question 1: Answer Rule 9.1.7 After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower.... shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket....

Question 2: Answer Yes, I think this should be corrected with Rule 2.10.1e. Call the back court violation, take away the points, and give the ball to Team B for throw-in.

Sometimes the stupid things just catch you off-guard and your whistle becomes lost or non-functional.

I agree with you on Play #1 but I'm not so sure I agree with you on Play #2. I don't believe this is a correctable error as defined by rule. If an offical mistakes a 3-pt. try for a 2-pt. try or vice versa, or if a basket is made right before or after a foul is called then you could rerroneously count or cancel a score. But if you simply miss a backcourt violation you can't wipe out a score and go back and penalize the violation. What if a player traveled on a drive to the hoop and the official missed the travel. Would you then go back and take away the basket and penalize the travel. I could be wrong but I don't think the correctable rules apply here.