View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 04:22pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Last saturday had a doubleheader FP-men, top-level, and it was a little humid the night before...
Started the game with 2 ballbags at my belt, so I had 4 spare ball's
with me. In home dug-out half a box new ball's were in plastic waiting to be used. After 3 innings a new box with new balls were taken out the mainbuilding of the ball-park.

In this 2:04h game I've used about a box, 12, new ball's and about 6 used balls (left over from game 1).
I've had many foulballs, over fence into tennispark, lots of wet balls and egg-batted balls...

I can't imagine that you only use 2-3 balls a game...

Tomorrow, saturday, I'll have a double header senior women. Again top-league. Shall not need a second ballbag, however will need more than 6 new balls...
On Tuesdays, I work a men's slow-pitch league that includes some of the top-tier travel teams, 3 HR limit. They play doubleheaders, so they don't bother retrieving their balls till the second game has concluded. Both teams will sometimes go through a whole box of balls (12) in the doubleheader. That's 24 balls laying outside the fence somewhere waiting to be picked up. There's an upper division to this league on Thursday nights (which I don't work) that has a 5 HR limit. I shudder to think how many balls are laying out there waiting for them at the end of the night.