Thread: Appeal or not?
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
FED rules. R2 & R3. Ground ball to F3. R3 gets into a rundown between third and home. R2 comes around third and notices that R3 is coming back to the base. R2 returns to second without retouching third. No outs are made on the play. Does the defense need to appeal the failure to retouch to get the out or does BU make the call without an appeal? I will tell how it was handled later.
The defense needs to appeal.

I had a similar situation last year in a college game only it involved a fly ball. R1 touched second base and then realized the ball was going to be caught. On his way back he did not re-touch second base. I made a mental note and then the defense appealed and the out was registered.

In the "old" days, in FED there were no appeals and the umpire would ring up the out after playing action ended.

Since the change in FED there are no longer 'accidental appeals" and if there is a base running infraction it MUST be appealed.

Edited to add: EXCEPT South Carolina To my knowledge in South Carolina there are no appeals. The umpire registers the out just like the old days.

Pete Booth