View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 23, 2009, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex View Post
I didn't assume that they were varsity officials. I have just never seen an official pinch in that tight before. I guess it caught my attention more than the 8 year old bulldozer. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that they could be first year officials and I apologize for that. If they were vets and just lazy, then that is a different story.

Scott
In many areas the same officials who work at the varsity level also work youth league games, and thinking that positioning, especially on the wings, should be the same for 8 year olds as it is for varsity games is ridiculous. We need to adjust and adapt to the game we're working, rather than be rigid in complying with a recommended mechanic that is not practical for the level we're dealing with.

The wider positioning recommended for varsity level contests is a direct response and reaction to the skill level of the players and the variety of formations and strategies being employed. Wing officials camping out on their respective sidelines, at most youth level games, contribute precious little to the game thats usually being played a lot closer to where the ball is being snapped. When play, at these levels, does turn outside it's much easier to maintain an appropriate separation because of the skill level of the participants.

There's simply no need to be as wide at younger level youth league contests, because the risk of being out flanked is so much lower and the need for helping control the players reactions is so much greater.

The caution is always not to get too close, but the play should be within sight.

Last edited by ajmc; Thu Apr 23, 2009 at 06:01pm.