View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If you are a member of an association which contracts multiple leagues and games and they need help, the umpire is still a member of that association and should help when possible.
I won't argue with that. However, there are varying degrees of "when possible." For example, this week, I will have worked every day or night umpiring or going to an umpire related meeting. This means that at least 5 hours of my day (often more) after work will have been consumed with umpiring. This Saturday, I have already been contacted by my HS assignor and two local ASA assignors about working games. I have declined all of them, because a) I want some time off, and b) I still like to spend time with my family and c) this weekend is Germanfest, and we had to miss it last year because I was umpiring, so I told my wife I would be sure not to schedule any games this year. Now, I am sure that all three of those assignors are probably assuming that I am not there when they need me, or something along those lines, but you know the old saying about when you "assume" something....

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.