View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
I researched some old posts to clarify whether a visit to the pitcher between innings to observe warmups counts towards a Legal visit. I saw this comment below..

"A manager/coach may go with his pitcher to the mound between innings (to watch the warm up throws) providing he does not delay the game." This was interpreted as NOT a legal visit. I spoke with another umpire and he stated that it DOES count as a visit. Rule 8.06 does not state when a visit starts just when it ends, "leaving the 18ft circle area of the mound". I would appreciate clarification on this issue of legal visit between innings.
Ask yourself this question: "Did I have to stop play (call TIME) to allow the manager or coach to go to the mound?". If tha answer is "No" (and between innings, that should be the answer), then there is no trip charged.

On the question of delaying, If the pitcher is warming with the coach on the mound, then there is no trip charged. If the pitcher stops warming and is talking to the coach, then you need to go to the mound as this may be a consultation due to injury and there may be a substitution. If the two are not consulting about an injury, then the pitcher is done, the manager needs to leave the mound or, you charge a trip! Here's how the conversation should go when you approach the mound in this situation.

"What's the problem Hank? Is your pitcher injured?"
"No Mario, he's fine."
"Okay Hank, but your pitcher stopped warming so you need to leave now, warm-ups are finished and we have to get underway. If you want to stay, I have to charge a trip and I don't think you want to waste one like this."
You then jog back to home plate and put on the mask. If the manager is still there, off comes the mask and he gets a trip charged. If he argues, he gets the hook.

Now in all my years, I have never hooked a manager in this instance and to my recolection, I think I only charged 3 mangers with trips.