View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Men,

I am having a hard time with this interp. I had a play early this year when we had R1, outs don't matter. There was a clean BH to left field, the ball is down on the grass. LF tries to cut tries ball off and it goes off his glove and goes into DBT. It was not a very well laid out field (no fence for the playing field in that area, and a short piece of foul ground) for that to happen but it did.

It is not far from this play to imagine an intentional kick and carry to save a base or more by the defense. In the play I had in this situation, I need to understand why the offense is penalized by the mistake the defense made, at least in my case. Once the ball is down and rolling on the ground and not in danger of going out of play until the direction is changed by the fielder, you have a different set of variables to play with. The fly ball ball hits off glove or F9's head and goes out, or the rocket shot gets mishandled by F5, and goes out is one thing. I can live with that.

However, IMO there is a difference in my play where the "big dogs" are missing a signigficant piece of the puzzle.

Sorry for the rant here.
8.3.3J seems very similar to your play (except it happens in RF not in LF). Note the difference between "impetus" provided by the fielder and "force" provided by the batted ball.

Basically, treat the fielder as a rock. IF the ball hits off a rock and goes out of play, it's two bases, TOP. If the ball wouldn't have gone out of play, then it's two bases TOT (or TODeflection).

An intentional kick is always two bases TOK.

8.3.3K provides additional guidance.