View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
If this is correct, and I do not believe it is, then why do we allow the live ball appeal of a runner leaving early to be decided by the ball simply being returned to the base ahead of the runner? Per your ruling the defense would be required to tag the runner and not just return the ball to the base.
If you read what I wrote, the concept is a concept applied to a runner returning to a base missed. The concept does not apply to leaving early on a fly ball.

The most common usage of the relaxed/unrelaxed concept is the play at home where the runner misses the plate and the fielder misses the tag. Technically the runner has missed home so by rule the catcher could just step on the plate and announce an appeal. In practice, however, if the runner is scrambling back toward the plate we require a tag of the runner for an out. This would be unrelaxed action.

If, however the runner starts walking towards the dugout, making no attempt to correct his error, this is unrelaxed action. In this instance we do not require the catcher to chase down the runner, but instead allow him to step on the plate and appeal the miss.

Although most often seen at home, this concept can be applied equally to other bases, i.e. a runner slides around second and then scrambles back towards it.