View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

On-deck batter interferes

(FED rules)

How would you call this?

I had this happen the other day during a varsity HS game:

First, I need to give you a little background on the play so you realize how such a thing could happen.

It was the second game of a doubleheader between the same two teams. The second game was an absolute blowout. (Final score 22-3)

The winning team was batting, forever, with no end in sight. Walks, wild pitches, hits, errors ... it was a nightmare. The defense could hardly buy an out.

The catcher for the losing team was the starting pitcher for the first game and this kid was totally spent, not the least of all the reasons is that he had been getting pummeled with wild pitches in the dirt the entire game.

With the bases loaded and two outs, there was yet, again, another pitch in the dirt that bounced off the catcher and was deflected toward the batting team's on-deck circle. The third base coach had long since stopped sending runners, so R3 did not advance home although he could have easily. Further, the catcher had lost the energy to scramble after the ball and simply sauntered over to get it (obviously aware that the offense was no longer advancing their runners.) There was a general lack of urgency on the play on the part of both sides - which precipitated the on-deck batter to simply pick the ball up, much like it was a foul ball.

But it wasn't! It was a live ball.

Any penalty for this?

Hell, I just called R3 out for an offensive player intentionally interfering with a live ball while a play was in progress. The third base coach thanked me as he returned to the dugout. In fact, it was hailed as the "best call" of the game.

I'm fairly certain it was wrong - even when I called it.

But that play got me curious. I couldn't find anything in the rulebook that covers this although I'm sure there must be.

Any opinions for the rulebook answer to this?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN