View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 12, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

This is in line with the coaching comments, "We've done it that way all season.", "The ump let me do that last game.", and "She's pitched that way all season."

All you can do is -

1) Not discuss what happened at any previous game. You can not know what happened if you weren't there. You can not fix what happened in a previous game even an ump made a mistake in that game.

2) Make sure that you are applying the rules correctly. You should be able to explain to the coach why you are applying the rules in the way that you are. (this is true about every call you make)

3) Make sure you listen to the coach. He just might be telling the truth or have a point. If anything he says raises a flag or causes you doubt about your rules application take the time to talk to your partner about the call in the current game.

I have watched HS umps allow a CR for players other than the pitcher/catcher. I have seen pitchers double and triple touch an entire game. I have watched F3 or F4 obstructing first base on every pickoff play there. These are things I would not allow to happen in a game that I was working.

Tell them "I am applying the rules as written and can't comment on anything that happened in any other game." if the coach makes a "But we ..." comment.

Last edited by marvin; Sun Apr 12, 2009 at 02:04pm.