View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc7 View Post
Last night I worked the championship game for a local AAU tournament. The game I had was for 5th graders, and it was my first game in about 4 weeks after being on the road for work. I sucked. No two ways about, I just wasn't that good. My mind was else ware, and I just don't feel that I did a very good job.

My partner didn't think it was bad, nor did any of the league officials and evaluators that were there, but I was quite disappointed in my performance last night.

Have other people felt the same way after games? I know that sometimes we all have had bad games, but I honestly felt like I didn't earn my paycheck last night.
I had a game with a partner whom I am very comfortable (we've known each other since we were little kids, played on the same teams growing up, etc) and we both walked off the floor shaking our heads at the game we called. As we were leaving, the two coaches and the AD were waiting outside our room to thank us for the job we did. Amazing...

On the other hand I had a game where I felt it went pretty well (was yelled at equally from both sides ) but I had one PC foul where, upon further review, the defender may have flopped. Well, after the game, my partner chose that one call to sum up my entire evening. Someone who had never seen me work, had no idea who I was, nor my level of experience (which was more than his) decided that one call where I messed up was an indictment on me as an official.

Be your own worst critic, and when it makes you look good, take other people's praise and wear it like a hat until your next game.