View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 11, 2002, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by insatty
For crying out loud Theisey, this is an academic discussion, not a cross-examination. I already know you're smart, now try to be civil (you must be right at home on the baseball forum).

On this rainy, muddy Friday night when the sideline was obliterated, the call could have gone either way. Had I the chance to change my call, I would have ruled him in bounds and flagged for IP. But for discussion sake, assume his foot touches in bounds and give me your non-argumentative conclusion supported by authorities: Legal catch?
### As the judge would say, "overruled counseler".
What's baseball? I hate the sport thanks to our multi-million heir babies and their legal beagles working as their agents.
FYI. the name is Tom if that's OK with you.

Now you are changing the play again with this business of no visible sideline. Under those conditions, any call you made on that night would have been correct.
But your question was answered by several people. I'll repeat. Once OOB on his own, a team-A player cannot return and if he does, it is a flag for IP. Mechanics say drop the bag at that spot. That is proof positive you saw this.
A catch is securing possession and returning to the ground in-bounds or being prevented from returning IB. All that takes is one foot, a toe, a knee, etc. Basic definitions we all have to know. I'm sure you know them.

So, with an obliterated sideline, you did the best you could and said he completed the catch OOB. Therefore no flag. Pass is incomplete. (And that would not matter if it was the last play of the game or the first play).

But for discussion sake, assume his foot touches in bounds and give me your non-argumentative conclusion supported by authorities: Legal catch?
Yes... Legal Catch, a completed pass and a flag for Illegal Participation on Team-A player A89.
I rest my case.