View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 09, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Forgive me Kd5, but I've tried to avoid "show me yours and I'l show you mine" arguments" since about when I left 3rd grade, so I may be a little out of practice.
Not true.

Quote:
You get to choose to follow your logic, and I sincerely hope you never have to try and explain that choice on a field, and I get to follow what I see as rationaland logical and have no worry, whatsoever, about explaining or justifying my choice.
I've explained my logic using rules, specifically 2-29-1, 2-30 and 9-6-1. You've again failed to cite ANY rules to back up your argument. All you've stated is that "our interpretation of what we perceive defies, common sense, logic and reality" yet it's walt and me who've cited concrete, specific rules and you haven't. I'm not sure who's going to have a tougher time here. I'm going to pull out the rule book and point to these rules. What are you going to do, say "What possible difference could it make whether that player is still touching the ground or jumping above it when he touches the ball"?

Quote:
Citing rules is always important and good practice, because it provides opportunity to constantly refresh our knowledge base, but understanding the rule, it's meaning, it's function and it's purpose may even be more important than memorizing the words. I'd reference the same rules you have, the only difference being I look a little deeper than the exact sequence of words and am guided by common sense as to how they should be applied.
That's the problem with you. You apply your own logic to rules that are written, as walt said, in black and white, plus it's me who's cited rules, not you.

Quote:
You might try opening your mind and thinking about why what you read may have been written. That's something they may not cover until 4th grade, so be ready for and good luck with it.
So if you aren't trying to show me yours, why the put downs and references to grade school? I've opened my mind. I take the word "touching" to mean that he is in the process of being directly in contact with the ground. What more can be applied or what more common sense can be used to interpret the word "touching"? If he's touching then he's out of bounds and by opening up my mind I glean from it that if he's not touching then he must be inbounds. If he's standing at the 50 on the logo and jumps in the air he's inbounds. Not that tough. Please cite the exact rule that says a player, once he steps out of bounds, stays out of bounds no matter what he does after that. I've cited the rule that says he's inbounds if he's not out of bounds. Let's have yours.