View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 09, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
And once again you produce pages of shuck and jive without the slightest hint of any rule reference to back up your position.

[ I've cited the rule that says he's OB if he's "touching". Let's have yours. Rule ______.

There's my first rule citing. Let's see yours. By the way, rules are listed in the book with hyphens such as 9-6-1 and 6-3-1.

So how did he return? He "returned" when he left the ground and batted the ball. It doesn't matter where he is when he leaves the ground. . There's my third rule citing. Let's see yours.

Come on, I dare you, cite rules to back up your position.
Forgive me Kd5, but I've tried to avoid "show me yours and I'l show you mine" arguments" since about when I left 3rd grade, so I may be a little out of practice. I appreciate your coaching me about using hyphens, rather than periods, to list rule references. Old habits are hard to break and I'm really happy you were able to follow along despite this grand transgression.

My father advised me long ago, "Never argue with a fool" and when I've ignored that advise I've always regretted it.

One of the wonderful things about officiating is that, on the field, we get to do pretty much whatever we like, whenever we like. Of course the other side of that coin is that we are held totally responsible, and accountable, for everything we choose to do at an extremely high standard.

You get to choose to follow your logic, and I sincerely hope you never have to try and explain that choice on a field, and I get to follow what I see as rationaland logical and have no worry, whatsoever, about explaining or justifying my choice.

Citing rules is always important and good practice, because it provides opportunity to constantly refresh our knowledge base, but understanding the rule, it's meaning, it's function and it's purpose may even be more important than memorizing the words. I'd reference the same rules you have, the only difference being I look a little deeper than the exact sequence of words and am guided by common sense as to how they should be applied.

You might try opening your mind and thinking about why what you read may have been written. That's something they may not cover until 4th grade, so be ready for and good luck with it.