Thread: licking fingers
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Then why aren't games stopped immediately when it begins to rain?
The same reason a drop of oil somewhere is better than a quart. Pitching a wet ball with wet fingers results in a loss of control. At that point, pitchers begin to lose their grip. And the ball gets heavier, even with someone wiping it off when it comes in from the outfield after shooting up a trail of water on the way to an outfielder.

Quote:
It's a finishing coat sprayed to help the balls look pretty. I wouldn't doubt there is an additional value to protect the ball for during transportation, storage and temperature issues
Store 'em in the humidor?

Quote:
Feel for the ball I can buy especially since there is quite a variance in the stitching on today's ball. However, simply warming up with a particular ball does nothing to wear the surface unless you throw the ball into the ground. This is one place where, God forgive me for saying this, baseball has an edge. Like baseball umpires, we should take every new ball and rub it down prior to putting it into the game. It isn't difficult and barely takes 10 seconds. If you need to wet your palms or pick up an handful of dirt, do it.
I don't recall many warm-up sessions when I didn't manage to throw at least a couple of pitches in the dirt or off the backstop. But even throwing 40 or 50 pitches in a warm up will knock some of the sheen off the ball.

Quote:
It is not an advantage to be able to grip the ball. If it were, resin and Gorilla Gold (drying agents in name only), would not be allowed.
Well, we definitely need to take different sides on this argument. Try throwing a ball, or any object, without fingers. If you can't grip something, how can you hold it, much less throw it. [Unless you're Larry Bird shooting foul shots w/ a bandaged hand against a sportswriter (Bob Ryan?)] There was the Gipper, and now the Gripless.

Ted