View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
(Many) Plate umpires have been trained to say "no he didn't" on all check swings. So, it's not really a problem if the base umpire responds "yes he did." And, I'd rather have the discussion "we shortened the process so eceryone would know what was going on" than "we waited too long and put your team at a disadvantage."

I do think it points out the folly of having PU say "no he didn't" rather than just "ball".

I was trained to say that less is more... Ball and strike is all you need to call, if you rule a strike on the swing, it doesn't matter because it can't be appealed, its a strike, if you rule a ball, its a ball, you don't have to announce what made it a ball, no need to say, "It was high and inside and the batter didn't swing." Just say BALL.

In addition with 2 strikes and less than three balls ball in the dirt the minute the batter leaves for first. Its the old philosophy of letting the players umpire themselves, which I'll admit doesn't always work. If he heads for first, then he swung.

To accomplish this, a good pace on the call gives you the chance to read and react to the batter. If you wait that breath for the ball to hit the glove all game then waiting that breath for the ball to clear the catcher and the batter to run is no different.

If he reacts after my "breath" and ball - then I'm asking BU right away. Because the catcher hauling tail to retrieve a "ball" is his 'appeal' on the checked swing.

When I'm BU, if the batter doesn't run then I make my decision when asked. If he does run, then I give him what he wanted, he swung. (At least if its even possible, I have seen a player leave on a passed ball in which the bat never left the shoulders - use common sense)

Thats just how I do it, and i've never seen a pro-mechanic book, or an NCAA one either. Thats just what I do for your consideration.